FOKUS: International digital workshop with male and female students
LOCATON: Landsberg am Lech, Berlin an Istanbul
LANGUAGE: German, Turkish, English
SUPPORT: German-Turkish Youth Bridge
AKTIVITÄT: Youth and Professional Exchanges 2022
PROJECT MANAGEMENT GERMANY: Wolfgang Hauck
COORDINATION TURKEY: Dr. Ensa Filazi
CONCEPTION: Wolfgang Hauck
IstanbulHistoryApp is another step into the future of digital history tools
The project uses digital media as part of an international education project. Photo, images and text will be used to develop articles for a location-based HistoryApp. This involves learning the techniques and editing, and for the students of the Faculty of Translation Studies, how to appropriately translate cultural and historical content for the German and Turkish cultural spheres.
The goals are:
- Exchange of experience and intercultural encounters in digital formats
- Translation of complex topics and their modifications in the cultural context
- Collaborative work with digital communication media.
The project is used in conjunction with the LandsbergHistoryApp project. On the one hand, texts of the app will be available in Turkish and on the other hand, own tours and contributions for Istanbul will be developed.
By changing the perspective from user, user and editor, the participating students will be guided to acquire interdisciplinary and multimedia expertise. They acquire specialized knowledge, investigate and learn to reflect on their present.
The format and methods are to be implemented as a model project in the medium and long term. In addition, there will be an exchange program to deepen techniques and exchange experiences in Istanbul, Berlin and Landsberg.
In the context of implementation, there is the translation and transmission of regional historical communication, such as in foreign language travel guides. The issue of translation between cultures will be studied in depth, using the example of texts and their translation into Turkish, the problems, strategies and methodology.
The Turkish partner, the T.C. Istanbul University, is to examine criteria and methodology for this purpose with the processing of texts and develop a methodology in an application-oriented manner. Students of the current semester in Turkey, as well as two leaders of the program, will participate.
From the German side, students and two professionals from the editorial field are also to participate. The texts and articles will also be tested and evaluated with Turkish-speaking users.
The special challenge lies in the fact that the subject areas do not simply have to be translated, but rather transferred into another cultural framework in an intensive cultural exchange.
The T.C. Istanbul University is a partner in this international project. the university is one of the leading universities in Turkey. At the Faculty of Literature has been training students for the interpreting and translation profession for about 25 years.
The department Interpreting and Translating German undertakes many projects to familiarize students with partners for the requirements of practice. With the translation club İSÇEV (Istanbul Üniversite Kulübü) the connection to the translator market in Turkey is made. This gives students a glimpse into the professional life of interpreters.
The continuation project will be carried out from February to May 2022 and will serve as a practice-oriented application.
The results will be presented in various formats starting in May 2022:
CONCRETE WORK TOPICS
- Editing a tour of the historical shopping street İstiklâl Caddesi – Independence Street – in Istanbul.
- Development of the basics for editing texts for smartphone apps
EVENTS AND DATES
- February 26 – March 2, 2022
- Visit of two executives and meetings with male and female students in Istanbul
- Workshops on methodology for digital storytelling
- Development of structure and topics within the framework of the study program
- May 13-17, 2022
- Exchange program with two professionals, male and female students in Germany
- Methodology workshops
- Translation of HistoryApp contributions
- Meeting with students of LMU Munich (elite course Eastern Europe) and University of Augsburg (history and literature)
- Faculty executives
- Students of Istanbul University
- Faculty of Literature, Translation Studies
- German Interpreting and TranslationDepartment
- Wolfgang Hauck, DE
- Anke Neudel, DE
- Dr. Ensa Filazi, TR
The project series is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office.
ARTICLES ABOUT THE PROJECT AND THE BLOG
Status April 2022. The project is currently being implemented.